Speaker: Pastor Talemoh Dah
TOPIC: GOD IS GOOD
Texts: Psalm 34:8; 31:19-20; 86:5; 107:1; 100:5; 106:1; 145:9; Nahum 1:7; 1Chron 16:34; 2Chron 5:13; 7:3; Ezra 3:11; Jer 33:11; Lam 3:25; Luke 18:19
Our consideration, in the past several weeks, have been on the characters of God. This is an important foundation in the times we are in. In encouraging Timothy to be faithful, Paul acknowledged his own suffering but said he was not ashamed because, said him, “ I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day” (2Tim 1:12). Knowing whom God is builds our faith in Him and this faith is the oxygen by which the Bible says we (the righteous) must live. Today we shall share about the Lord being good.
Definitions of the word Good
- That which is morally right; righteous
- Morally excellent; virtuous; righteous; pious
- Having the required qualities of a high standard
- To be desired or approved of
- Of a favourable character or tendency
As a character of God
When referring to God, good has no superlative. The Bible uses the word good instead of better or best because the good meant here is through and through. Saying He is better or best means that someone or something can be compared with Him.
It is one of the characters of God that He does not share with anyone if we use the right definition. Jesus said only God is good (Luk 18:19). Only Him is morally excellent and righteous.
When seen other than God’s character, some people can be good, while others are better or best.
In the Old Testament, the favourite line in praise songs and prayer was “The Lord is good, and His mercies endureth forever”. They understood God’s goodness as something that applied to their lives daily. Goodness is a cross-cutting theme.
Revealed by Christ
Jesus Christ, by conferring on us sonship of God, has made us righteous, thus sharing this characteristic of God. Christ works on us every day, and we can only completely be like him (good through and through, glorious Phil 3:21) when we get to heaven. The Bible said that everywhere He went, He was doing good. When the world was created, God saw that it was good; this was because by Him all things consist (Col 1:27) so His creation was perfect before the fall of man and corruption by the devil.
- Since we are redeemed from all iniquity and purified, we should be zealous of good works, like our Father (Titus 2:14), for unto such has it been ordained for us (Eph 2:10, Titus 3:1,8).
- We should be getting changed into His likeness daily (2 Corinth 3:18)
- We should Know that God is good even when we find ourselves in unpleasant circumstances because He is immutable. This will make our faith in Him unshakable
- Praise God for His goodness to us: for our salvation, our protection and provision
- Ask God for grace to change into His likeness daily
- Pray that the knowledge of His goodness will make your faith in Him unshakable